Ford to Make New Investment of Up to $20 Billion in Electric-Vehicle Push: Report


Ford Motor is planning additional investment of up to $20 billion (roughly Rs. 1,49,935 crore) in building its electric vehicles, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday.

The investment of $10 billion (roughly Rs. 74,940 crore) to $20 billion (roughly Rs. 1,49,935 crore) will be spread out over the next five to ten years and will include converting its present factories around the world to electric-vehicle production, the report said, citing people familiar with the plan.

Under a plan dubbed “Ford+” meant to have investors value it more like a technology company, the No. 2 US automaker had already pledged to spend over $30 billion (roughly Rs. 224860 crore) on EVs, including battery development, by 2030.

The latest push is being led by a former Apple and Tesla executive, the report said. Doug Field, an Apple veteran who had worked at Tesla, joined Ford last year to lead the automaker’s advanced technology and embedded systems efforts.

Major automakers from General Motors, Ford, and Volvo Cars are swiftly making changes to take their piece of the pie in a competitive EV space and fight against electric car challenger Tesla.

The report added Ford has evaluated spinning off a small portion of its EV business as a part of the reorganisation, to capture value in an electric startup environment boosted by investor sentiment.

The new plan also includes hiring an unspecified number of engineers to work on concepts such as battery chemistry, artificial intelligence and EV software, the report said, indicating the rising importance of software and digital connectivity in the auto industry.

“We’re carrying out our ambitious Ford+ plan to transform the company and thrive in the new era of connected, electric vehicles,” the company’s spokesman said, adding they do not comment on rumors and speculations.

Ford’s shares rose as much as 2.7 percent on Tuesday.

© Thomson Reuters 2022


Affiliate links may be automatically generated – see our ethics statement for details.

Catch the latest from the Consumer Electronics Show on Gadgets 360, at our CES 2024 hub.



Source link


Ford Motor is planning additional investment of up to $20 billion (roughly Rs. 1,49,935 crore) in building its electric vehicles, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday.

The investment of $10 billion (roughly Rs. 74,940 crore) to $20 billion (roughly Rs. 1,49,935 crore) will be spread out over the next five to ten years and will include converting its present factories around the world to electric-vehicle production, the report said, citing people familiar with the plan.

Under a plan dubbed “Ford+” meant to have investors value it more like a technology company, the No. 2 US automaker had already pledged to spend over $30 billion (roughly Rs. 224860 crore) on EVs, including battery development, by 2030.

The latest push is being led by a former Apple and Tesla executive, the report said. Doug Field, an Apple veteran who had worked at Tesla, joined Ford last year to lead the automaker’s advanced technology and embedded systems efforts.

Major automakers from General Motors, Ford, and Volvo Cars are swiftly making changes to take their piece of the pie in a competitive EV space and fight against electric car challenger Tesla.

The report added Ford has evaluated spinning off a small portion of its EV business as a part of the reorganisation, to capture value in an electric startup environment boosted by investor sentiment.

The new plan also includes hiring an unspecified number of engineers to work on concepts such as battery chemistry, artificial intelligence and EV software, the report said, indicating the rising importance of software and digital connectivity in the auto industry.

“We’re carrying out our ambitious Ford+ plan to transform the company and thrive in the new era of connected, electric vehicles,” the company’s spokesman said, adding they do not comment on rumors and speculations.

Ford’s shares rose as much as 2.7 percent on Tuesday.

© Thomson Reuters 2022


Affiliate links may be automatically generated – see our ethics statement for details.

Catch the latest from the Consumer Electronics Show on Gadgets 360, at our CES 2024 hub.



Source link

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Advertismentspot_img

Latest posts

Call of Duty League team owner suing Activision Blizzard for $680 million

Rodriguez — whose company owned and operated the Call of Duty League’s OpTic Texas team — and now-retired OpTic player Seth “Scump” Abner...

One of the last small-ish Android phones looks like it’s going the way of the iPhone Mini

As phone sizes trended upward, one small device stood its ground year after year: the Asus Zenfone. That appears to be changing soon,...

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!